We were back out at Smith Rock State Park, this time with over 60 teenage Pathfinders and their club leaders. Our role was to take 6 of them, teach them, encourage them, and have a heck of a lot of fun with them!
Our mission was accomplished brilliantly as we went through a multitude of activities with them. Each activity was designed to teach teamwork, trust, faith, and how to celebrate victories with each other.
Michael and I were blessed with an amazing group. They all got along really well. They were very encouraging and really fun. It was so interesting for me as a group leader. We had quite the array of abilities even within our 6 people. It was a good position for me to be in though. Gave me good perspective on the sport of rock climbing and reminded me of what it means to be a leader.
The biggest
c
A
I was so glad we were able to start them out on a very short rappel off nothing more than a large boulder. It gave them the feel of what rappelling was all about without the sheer cliff factor. We were able to go down with them and talk them through the process. It was good practice and they seemed to respond rea
Even with the practice, the cliff was super hard for them to mentally overcome. It was difficult, but most of them were able to get through the intense fear and actually enjoyed the experience. I know I INTENSELY enjoyed it! Rappelling is what makes rock climbing worth while to me. Good fun!
Everyone went home that Sunday afternoon with smiles on their faces and exciting stories to share with those they love. I wouldn't be at all surprised if many of the members of our group go rock climbing again some time. :D
No comments:
Post a Comment