2009-11-20

The Unsuspecting Samaritan

One dark and drizzly night while I was riding my bike home from work, something rare and blessed happened to me. I was only a couple blocks from home when I thought I saw a someone wave to me out of the corner of my eye. It was across the street and it was a bit dark on that part of the road so it was hard to tell.

I immediately stopped my bike and turned to look back. Yes, there was someone there. It was an old man sitting in an electric wheelchair, looking quite defeated. I realized he must be in trouble some how and I had momentarily ignored him by riding past. I quickly turned my bike around and crossed the busy street at the first given opportunity. As I neared the man I realized that he was in the middle of a big puddle, a few feet away from the sidewalk.

I quickly jumped off my bike and walked over to him, asking how I could help. He woefully told me that he had been crossing the little side street when his back wheel dropped into a pothole that was just deep enough that he got terribly stuck. As I took off my shoes and socks to wade in after him he explained that when he first got stuck a man walked right by him and ignored his plea for help. I was horrified. How could anyone be so insensitive to someone in need! It made me angry to think that there are such selfish people in this world.

I was relieved that I had been riding by and saw him there or who knows how long he would have sat there. Poor guy! I gleefully plunged into the icy water and lifted up on the back corner of the chair. That was enough for the wheels to catch again and he gratefully drove up onto the sidewalk. He offered to buy me a drink for helping him. I gently declined the kind offer and with a genuine smile explained to him that I was just grateful that I could have been there help him. I put a hand on his shoulder and compassionately wished him a good night. Then I crammed my socks in my backpack, slipped my shoes back on my dripping feet, and rode off into the night.

I don't know if I made any lasting difference in the life on that man, but I do know that it really gave me something to think about. How many people have I ignored in life? How many homeless people have I driven past on the road, doing my best to avoid eye contact? How many lonely people have I neglected because I just didn't feel like talking? How often have I been the one to pass by when there are people suffering?

I feel blessed that the man in the chair was stranded that night. It may have been a subtle way for God to work on my heart and remind me how precious his children are, and give me the opportunity to practice being his hands.

No comments: