
The Bethany Seventh-Day Adventist Church elected members to fill certain slots in various church ministries a couple months ago. As they were choosing leaders for the Pathfinder club someone mentioned the Gregory’s. The more they talked about it, the more they thought we would be a good choice for the roles of Deputy Directors (assistant directors). They elected us and let us know about it a little later. I was interested in the prospect of getting the dormant club going again, but Michael quickly discovered that loosing an entire afternoon of work every Sunday was not really going to fly for him. So it stands that I became the Bethany Timberwood’s Deputy Director.
I wish I knew more about how to run a club. I am quite rusty as my last experience in a club was when I

was in 8th grade! It doesn't help that they do things very differently here as well. For example, their hand salute looks like they are suffering from head pains, with the knuckles of the back of their hand are up flat against their forehead. Also I am actually embarrassed to be part of this club when they march. They march with their arms, stiff as a board, swinging up to eye level as they march.
Regardless, we just had the first ever induction service this side of the Essequibo. It seemed to be a pretty big deal and that’s why I got a bit frustrated when I found myself doing the majority of the planning for the program. We have a VERY laid back director who doesn’t seem to ever take initiative for anything really. He’s a great guy, but not the best leader ever. I don’t want to direct the club so I get frustrated when I find nothing getting done unless I do. At any rate, the program went surprisingly smooth and was very well received by the parents who came to support their kids as we initiated them into the club.
1 comment:
Nooooo! They made me director when I was in Thailand. And for no other reason than the fact that I was an American. Figure head, I was.
C'est la vie, I s'pose.
Post a Comment