2009-12-29

The More The Merrier

Burton Hillis once suggested that "the best of all gifts around any Christmas tree is the presence of a happy family all wrapped up in each other." I would tend to agree with all my heart. That's why the decision to drive down to California for the holiday was incredibly easy to make. Not only would we get to enjoy the warmth and fellowship of Michael's whole family during our stay in the Napa Valley, but we would have the added blessing of visiting with my family as well.

Jared and Jodi tagged along with my parents as they all brav
ed the holiday traffic and drove up from Redlands to be with us. I can't tell you how happy I was to have them there. I only wish we could have had Cedric there as well. Don't worry, now he owes me a personal trip, and soon!

The ten hours it took us to reach St. Helena breezed by as well as ten hours can. I was grateful to have wonderful company, amazing scenery, and delightful weather to help the time pass a bit faster. It was unfortunate that we had to wait until Christmas Eve to travel, but the traffic was extraordinarily light, so perhaps it was a blessing after all. Before we knew it we were in the warm embrace of family, all preparing ourselves for a beautiful Christmas day.

I know I already used a quote, but I can't help repeating Carrie Latet when she describes her holiday induced insomnia. She says this: "Even as an adult I find it difficult to sleep on Christmas Eve. Yuletide excitement is a potent caffeine, no matter your age."
I found myself in this same kind of predicament as I excitedly awaited Christmas morning. It was a long night, but I was finally rewarded with the dawning of the new day.

Christmas morning has always held an indescribable magic for me. There is a certain joy that only comes from the simplistic thrill of opening your stocking full of goodies first thing in the morning. Even thought we didn't have stocking in the traditional sense of the word, I loved every minute of it!

From start to finish, Christmas day was spent in the loving company of family. I can't think of a way I would rather spend it. The presents we opened were awfully fun, but the pure joy of the chatter and laughter of family were what made the day wonderfully unforgettable.






I will have to wait another whole year before I get to celebrate Christmas again. But thanks to the joy and love I experienced this year perhaps the wait will not seem so long in coming. Love is one of those amazing parts of living that can fill you up and spill over into an abundance of fulfilling joy. It gives life purpose. It drives people forward. It is the most beautiful motivator! I'm so glad that there is no question as to how much our families care for us. It is evident every day. What a blessing to have family and to share in that kind of love!


No comments: